Halloween in the Outer Banks of North Carolina is a spooky sight to behold. Ghoulish costumes, zombies, skeletons, and scary ghost stories are sure to give you goosebumps. Many Outer Banks Halloween events are family-friendly, but you’ll find plenty of events for thrill-seekers, too. Check out the following list of our top seven Outer Banks Halloween happenings and start making plans to get in on the fun.
Find out more about all the fun things to do near Shoreline OBX when you download our free Outer Banks Vacation Guide. It’s full of the best recommendations for things to see and do like enjoying a good haunt during your Outer Banks Halloween.
Outer Banks Halloween Will Haunt You
1. We’ll ease you in with this one. The annual Outer Banks Halloween Parade is great for the whole family. Dress up in your favorite costume and join the parade. Or, watch the parade of the undead and festively dressed march by. The event is held rain or shine and is free for all to participate. Prizes are even awarded to the best costumes! For more information, check out the details.
2. The next item on our list features the dreadful history of the Outer Banks. OBX Ghost Tours will lead you on a ghost hunt in the famously haunted Outer Banks region. The storied past of undead sailors, pirates, and long-lost colonists will surely terrify you, especially if you encounter one of them. For $26 per person and a minimum party of three, this tour might just leave you a little rattled.
3. Who doesn’t enjoy a cold beer on a crisp autumn day? The Beer Witch Project combines the best brews with a mile-long race to Halloween glory. OBX Running Company hosts the race at Outer Banks Brewing Station. Prizes for the fastest male and female contestants, as well as the scariest and most creative costumes, make this event a fun one to run or watch.
4. Another family favorite, The Harvest Hayday rolls through with hayrides, scarecrow stuffing, face painting, a hay bale maze, and much more! Grab some hot apple cider and pie and take a seat next to the bonfire. The festive fall favorite is only $9 for adults and $6 for kids under 17.
5. Are you a fan of haunted trails? Try not to be terrified. They’re watching your every move. At the Wanchese Woods Haunted Trail, you’ll be abandoned in the woods to take the terrible trail. The darkness of the night is the perfect setting for the horrifying Halloween terror. Frightening creatures and scenes force you forward. By the end of it, you’ll either never want to do it again or you’ll want more. Tickets are $15 per person.
6. Trick or Treat Under the Sea is a Roanoke Island favorite. Family-friendly exhibits at the North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island make this the perfect place to take your little monsters. Tickets are $11 per person ages 2+.
7. When you think of Halloween films, do you envision those old-timey Dracula films with the spooky theme music? If so, then the Halloween Film Festival in Kill Devil Hills might just hit the spot. To celebrate the horrifying history of Halloween cinema, the film festival contestants offer their horror on the silver screen for your viewing pleasure.
Book Your Spooky Stay at Shoreline OBX
Don’t let the memory of your stay haunt you! If you need a beautiful place to stay during all the fun in your Outer Banks Halloween experience, look no further than Shoreline OBX. We offer some of the best vacation rentals in the Outer Banks, and our specials will send you over the moon like a witch on a broomstick! Need more ideas for your trip? Check out our free vacation guide!