Planning a vacation can with a pet can be a challenge. Luckily, when you plan your trip with Shoreline OBX, you won’t have to choose between your dream getaway and your pooch. Bring the whole family with you on your next Outer Banks getaway! Continue reading to find out how to plan your pet-friendly Outer Banks vacation! While you’re in the area, give yourself easy access to all of the best restaurants, attractions, and events in the Outer Banks by downloading our complimentary Vacation Guide. With our guide, sculpting the perfect getaway is always a breeze!
Your Guide to the Ultimate Pet-Friendly Outer Banks Getaway
Pets are part of the family. It’s only natural that they should be included in your family vacation! Bringing a dog, cat, or fish (we don’t judge) along on your getaway, however, can be a logistical nightmare. Throw all of that meticulous planning out the window and let us help you find the perfect pet-friendly properties, beaches, and activities in each of the Outer Banks communities!
Duck, NC, is a pet-friendly paradise. Dogs can roam the beaches here free of leashes! Out of concern for safety and courtesy, you should still keep a close eye on your pet if you choose to turn them loose. There are plenty of dog-friendly restaurants, parks, and beaches to explore! For more information call (252) 255-1234.
In Nags Head, leashes are required at all times. Leashes also must not exceed 10 feet in length. Even though you won’t have the same freedom that you’ll find in Duck, there are still plenty of great parks and stores for you and your furry friend to visit! For more information on Nags Head policies call (252) 441-5508.
Dogs are free to visit the beaches of Kitty Hawk between the hours of 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. from the Friday before Memorial Day until the day after Labor Day. All dogs must have a current rabies tag and leashes may not exceed 12 feet in length. Well-trained dogs are okay to be taken off leash, but close supervision is required. For more information call (252) 261-3552.
While dogs must be kept on leashes in Corolla, there are no requirements when it comes to leash length. There are also plenty of oceanfront, pet-friendly rentals in Corolla, making it the perfect destination for your next getaway. Call (252) 232-2075 for more information on the town of Corolla.
Kill Devil Hills
From May 1st to September 30, no dogs are allowed on the beach between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m unless to aid a handicapped individual. All other times, dogs must be kept on leashes. For more information, call the town of Kill Devil Hills at (252) 261-2394.
What You Need to Know About Traveling With Pets
1. Have your pet up to date on all vaccines. Many boarding kennels require dogs to have a Bordatella shot before they’ll accept them for boarding.
2. Prior to leaving home, get the names and phone numbers for the closest vets and emergency clinic to where you’ll be staying. We have listed the best ones below!
3. When driving in a car with a pet try to contain them in their own space so they’re not wandering around the vehicle. The use of harnesses specially made for vehicles or crates is especially useful. Stop at least every 2 hours so they can get out, walk around, and use the bathroom.
4. Under no circumstances should you ever leave your pet in a vehicle alone during the warmer months. It takes just minutes for your pet to overheat even if the windows are cracked.
5. Bring your pet’s food dishes, water bowls, and leashes with you. You should also pack bedding and some of their favorite toys. While animals are pretty adaptable you’ll want to keep them as comfortable and relaxed as possible in a new environment!
6. Be sure your pets are wearing ID tags beyond the chips they may have embedded. Ideally, you’ll have your cell phone number on the tag so if they should get loose in an unfamiliar neighborhood, someone can contact you.
7. Double check to make sure your rental is pet-friendly. Search our pet-friendly rentals and cottages right here!
Outer Banks Pet Medical Care & Boarding
Martin’s Point Veterinary 252-261-2250
6405 N Croatan Highway, Kitty Hawk, NC 27949 Milepost 0
Coastal Animal Hospital 252-261-3960
3616 N Croatan Highway, Kitty Hawk, NC 27949 Milepost 5
Outer Banks Vet 252-715-1407
3723 N Croatan Highway, Kitty Hawk, NC 27949 Milepost 4.5
Animal Hospital of Nags Head 252-441-8611
101 East Dowitcher Street, Nags Head, NC 27959 Milepost 14
Roanoke Island Animal Clinic 252-473-3117
107 Russell Twiford Road, Manteo, NC 27954
Start Your Vacation With Shoreline OBX
Start and stop your search for pet-friendly Outer Banks accommodations with Shoreline OBX. Our pet-friendly properties are built to hold families of any size and even come equipped with fenced-in yards and exclusive beach access!
For example, Let’s Breeze is a gorgeous oceanside property in Corolla that is just 100 feet from the beach! This pet-friendly property also comes with Shore Advantage, which provides amenities that reach beyond the average vacation rental. Before you plan your trip, check out our Bring Your Pet and Save a Bundle Special to save big on your next family getaway!